The Way – Orthodox learning from Alpha

The Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies, Cambridge, has just announced the late Spring launch of a new teaching programme suitable for use in Orthodox Churches  and which closely models the teaching methods of the British Alpha programme. Called The Way each session of the 12 week programme involves a small group meal together, a talk or presentation, discussion, and questions and answers.

The creators of The Way write that it  “aims to present the basics of Orthodox Christian faith in an atmosphere of friendship, free exchange and trust, where no position is forbidden and no question treated as foolish or unworthy of attention.” It assumes that human relationship, worship and teaching are central to the transmission of faith.

The Way will be available as a boxed set of 4 DVDs at an rrp. of £20 and will be available via Amazon.

Explore posts in the same categories: Alpha, mission, Orthodox

4 Comments on “The Way – Orthodox learning from Alpha”

1. Have you seen the content of “The Way”? IS there a demo available? If so,I’d love to see it? Do you know who the speakers on the DVDs are?

While I was with CCC in the ‘bad old days’ during the USSR, my small team developed a resource based on the parable of the Prodigal Son for use by Orthodox believers sharing their faith. It used iconographic line drawings done by an Orthodox iconographer to tell the story. We also published a full-colour calendar in the year 2000 to celebrate the millennium of Orthodoxy in Russia, which also used icons to tell the gospel story, from the Annunciation to the Ascension. The articles explaining each icon were specially written for us by Orthodox priests.
    Nigel

2. Nigel, the content (outlines only) is shown on the website of the IOCS (follow the link in my first post). I suspect it’s a team of writers but not sure who – although the first ten have been approved by Bp. Kallistos Ware. I don’t think there is a demo yet. As soon as I hear more I will post further information.

3. If only I had a nickel for each time I came to europeanmission.wordpress.com.. Great post.

4. Thanks Bradford. Great to hear you like it. Please feed back when you like (and don’t) like what you’re reading. It helps keep us focussed and on our toes and it’ll help build your nickel pile! Darrell